For this week’s entry I will be comparing vampire movies. I will be writing about the differences and the similarly of vampire movies, and not forgetting vampire television series too. In the old vampire movies for vampires, their appearances are unattractive compared to the vampires nowadays. Example, Nosferatu he was super pale, real ugly, bold and had real long nails (ok, perhaps some other vampires in vampire movies do have long nails). But the vampires in this century are gorgeous, basically, you can name any movies or any television series mostly all the vampires are very good looking. For instance, “Twilight”, “The Vampire Diaries”, “True Blood”, “Queen of the Damned”, “The Lost Boys (1987)”, “Interview With The Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles”, “The Forsaken”, “Fright Night” and more.
"Nosferatu 1922 Trailer" (TheNosferatuMysteria, 2009)
"The Lost Boys 1987 Trailer" (Glows, 2006)
"Queen of the Damned 2002 Trailer" (Cashten101, 2007)
"Interview With The Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles 1994 Trailer" (HolasPhilosophy, 2009)
Besides that, vampires are not supposed to go under the sun because it is deadly to them. Unfortunately, some vampire movies and television series are able to be exposed to sunlight. Example, “Twilight” and “The Vampire Diaries”, but at least not all of the characters in The Vampire Diaries are able to be exposed to sunlight. A vampire will need a ring and a witch to cast a spell on it so they are able walk in daylight. On the other hand, for Twilight it’s a completely different thing. Why so? It’s because they are able to walk under the sun without turning into ashes and they do not need a ring whereby a witch can cast a spell on it. All it does to the vampires in Twilight is sparkle.
Edward Cullen Sparkles Under the Sun (Bartyzel, 2010)
The first photo is Stefan and Damon Salvatore in a car in daylight. And the second photo where the sun reflected toward Stefan's body where he did not turn into dust. If you also notice that when he was passing a photo of Katherine to Bonnie, on his hand was a ring. That ring is the only thing which keeps him alive when he is under the sun.
Moving on, some vampires can eat regular food and consume blood and some vampires do not eat regular food but could only consume blood.
Vampire Movies/Television Series Who Consume Food and Blood:
- Fright Night (1985)
- Fright Night 2 (1988)
- The Vampire Diaries "TV Series"
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer “TV Series”
Vampire Movies/Television Series Who Do Not Consume Food but only Consume Blood:
- Twilight Saga
- True Blood "TV Series"
- Dracula Dead and Loving it
- Bordello of Blood
- The Forsaken
However, in the movies vampires are originally human who turns into a creature of the night and once you turn into a vampire you will stay that way for all eternity. But there are also some movies that were human turn into a vampire and then finds a way to turn themselves back to human. Example, Daybreakers, Near Dark and Blade Trinity. In Blade Trinity, a character name Hannibal King was turn into a vampire then he was treated and is now a human again. So there are variety methods to turn vampires back to human but it is based on the story if the movie.
Daybreakers (Loder, 2010)
Near Dark (Accomando, 2009)
Blade Trinity (Realfirstavenger, 2008)
Hence, vampires are supposed to sleep in coffins and they prefer to stay in a crypt. A lot of vampire movies do still use the story where vampires do sleep in coffins and a few of them do not sleep in coffins in one particular movie where vampires do not sleep at all is yet again Twilight. Over the years vampire movies made drastic transition, movie by movie their symptoms of vampirism are different. Are not crucifixes deadly to vampires? What about holy water, garlic and church? One way or another as the generation progresses the vampires in movies and television series change whether we like it or not. The only thing which seems to stay the same is their thirst for blood.
A Vampire's Coffin (Anonymous, n.d.)
Then again, similarly from all the vampire movies and television series are the need to consumer blood. From the movies I watched which had similarly are "Queen of the Damned", "Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles" and "The Vampire Diaries". Their similarity are in according to turn a human into a vampire they will need to exchange blood and once exchange their human body dies and they instantly turn into a vampire. These films share the same transition in turn into a vampire and not forgetting the two movies share similar names like Lestat ("Queen of the Damned" and "Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles"). All of the vampire movies/TV series I watch over the years once turn into a vampire, they will never grow old. But for Blade Trilogy the vampires will grow old, its process of aging is at a much slower rate compare to humans.
Lestat "Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles" (Ubranvamp, 2008)
Lestat "Queen of the Damned" (Hero, 2010)
"The Vampire Diaries, TV Series" (Rocks, 2010)
- Bartyzel, Monika. [Image] (2010). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://twi-session.blogspot.com/
- Loder, Kurt. [Image] (2010). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/01/08/kurt-loder-reviews-daybreakers/
- Accomando, Beth. [Image] (2009). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://www.kpbs.org/news/2009/jul/10/near-dark-dvd/
- Realfirstavenger. [Image] (2008). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/EditorialsAssemble/news/?a=6755
- Anonymous. [Image] (n.d.). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://webdesign.belleplaine.k12.mn.us/sites/2010/vampire/vampmov.html
- Urbanvamp. [Image] (2008). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://urbanvamp.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/halloween-series-a-tribute-to-fictional-vamps-lestat/
- Hero, Byronic. [Image] (2010). Retrieved March 29, 2011, from http://coursesite.uhcl.edu/HSH/Whitec/terms/B/ByronicHero.htm
- Anonymous. [Image] (2010). Retrieved March 30, 2011, from http://vampirediariesobsessed.blogspot.com/
- Rocks, Damon. [Image] (2010). Retrieved March 30, 2011, from http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-vampire-diaries-tv-show/images/11181007/title/vampire-diaries-wallpaper-wallpaper
- TheNosferatuMysteria. (2009, October 24). Nosferatu 1922 Trailer [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-DrKgjit4I
- Glows. (2006, September 5). The Lost Boys Movie Trailer [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsv_NQFbQzo
- Cashten101. (2007, February 18). Queen Of The Damned Trailer [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOlW8uFdESM
- HolasPhilosophy. (2009, January 6). Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles Trailer [Video file]. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBTObecD93s